Search Langston Chinese

While most questions about Langston’s Chinese Programs, Internship Program, Methodology, Shenyang, and general life in China are covered on other pages in this website, there are a few questions that are asked more often than others. Below we have made a list of questions and answers, categorized by different types of questions.

Langston Chinese Programs

What are the major differences between Langston and other Chinese programs?

In a nutshell: Smaller class sizes, a focus on useful Chinese, a comprehensive curriculum designed specifically for westerners, cultural activities and trips where you can use your Mandarin, unmatched quality of staff, and an unparalleled interactive and immersive environment. If you want to know specifically how we excel in each of these areas please visit our Why Langston Page.

Can I receive College/University credit for courses studied at Langston?

Langston Chinese helps students to receive any information or documentation that their home university requires to grant credits. All students who attend at least 80% of their classes and receive passing grades will receive a Langston transcript. The final decision to offer academic credit is up to your institution.

Do I receive a certificate upon completion of courses at Langston?

All students who have 80% or better attendance to their classes and receive a passing grade will be granted a certificate of completion and a Langston transcript. Included on the transcript are the academic credit hours studied and overall scores.

How early should I arrive before courses begin?

At Langston we provide housing one day before the program begins until one day after the program ends. If you decide to come earlier or stay longer we will provide our housing at a per day cost. We will always pick you up from the airport or train station upon arrival, regardless of date, as long as we are given advance notice.

What kind of visa should I apply for?

Students on our short term programs should apply for an X-class visa (short term study visa). Those studying two or more of our Academic term programs will need to discuss visa options with us directly.

Coming to China

Are there any cheap places to get an air ticket?

Airfare is always changing, as are the cheapest places to get a ticket. However, if you are currently a student, or if you have just recently finished school we recommend STA Travel, as they usually have great prices.

Any other tips for getting low airfare?

You may want to fly into a major hub, such as Beijing or Shanghai, and then purchase separate tickets for your flight from those cities to Shenyang from a ticket agent that specializes in Chinese domestic flights. Some have reported this saving them up to $300 roundtrip! Another tip is to try different days of the week and see which one gives you the lowest prices. Often airlines have lower prices on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

How much spending money should I bring?

Since Shenyang is a relatively cheap place to live you needn’t bring too much. Having said that, you want to make sure you are not begging on the streets for money! We recommend having at least an extra $400 for each month you are planning to spend here in Shenyang, plus about $300 for travel and other expenses when first arriving.

Can I use my credit card in China?

Many ATM’s in Shenyang accept Visa, Mastercard, and Plus cards for withdrawals, with minimal fees. Make sure to check your bank’s rules on foreign withdrawals first though, and be careful that your pin number is no longer than six characters or you will be unable to withdraw anything! Many Americans in town use Bank of America. They have a partnership with China Construction Bank (which is the most common bank in Shenyang) where there are no ATM fees when a Bank of America debit card is used at a China Construction Bank ATM. 

Do I need vaccinations to come to China?

The U.S. Center for Disease Control recommends that all travelers be up to date on their standard vaccinations. They also recommend the Hepatitis A and B vaccines, Typhoid vaccine, Rabies vaccine, and Japanese Encephalitis vaccine. If you do not, however, intend to travel to the south of China then the Typhoid and Japanese Encephalitis vaccines will not be necessary.

I have a pre-existing medical condition, should I bring medication with me?

While many basic medications are available in China those with pre-existing medical conditions should talk with their doctor before coming, and in most cases, should bring their own medication from their home country.

What kind of clothing should I bring?

Shenyang has a temperate climate, with four distinct seasons. If you are coming in the Summer bring clothes for hot temperatures. If you will be spending time in Shenyang between November and February make sure you have very warm clothes and a heavy coat, as it is often very cold. Clothes in China are very cheap, but if you are big or tall it will be very hard to find clothes in your size. Same goes for shoes.

Should I bring my own toiletries?

There is no need to bring your own toiletries; almost all western toiletries are available in China. There is one caveat to this rule however; bring your deodorant! Most Chinese people’s sweat doesn’t smell nearly as bad as us westerners, and therefore there is no market for deodorant. Make sure you have enough for your entire stay.

I want to bring my computer and electronics, will they work?

China uses 220 volt outlets, whereas many western countries use 110 volts. Some electronics, such as laptops, have built in converters but you should always check all electronics to make sure they will allow 220 volts (watts). If you must bring an item that does not allow 220 volts you may buy converters in America or China.

Should I bring books, or can I purchase English language books in China?

China has some English language books, specifically the classics. Langston also has a small book bar with English language books, but if there is something specific you are looking for, just bring it with you. Amazon does deliver to China if you ever MUST have some book.

Life in China

What's the weather like?

Shenyang has four distinct seasons, with winter averaging between 9 and 35 degrees Fahrenheit, and summer averaging 60 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Spring is windy, but beautiful, and fall is the most beautiful time of the year with very pleasing temperatures as well.

Is the tap water drinkable?

No, it is not. Bottled water is very inexpensive, and all of our apartments include water coolers/heaters which take 5 gallon jugs of water.

Is it safe to eat in Chinese restaurants?

Yes, although you still have to be careful of dirty conditions, particularly when traveling in the countryside. Also, some westerners will go through a period of adjustment to eating Chinese food after they have been in the country for six to eight weeks. During this period they will have mild diarrhea. Fortunately, this period usually only lasts a few days before everything is back to normal.

If I miss western food is there anywhere to go find it?

Absolutely. Although Shenyang is not as developed as Beijing or Shanghai, it is still considered a major city in China, and as such has many western chains and restaurants. Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC, and Pizza Hut are just a few of the chain stores, while there are also several local western food restaurants. Several of the large warehouse stores like Metro, Carrefour, and Wal-mart carry western food as well.For more specific information go to our Shenyang page.

I have allergies to certain foods; will I be ok in China?

As long as you learn the Chinese words for the foods you are allergic to! Most restaurants will take anything out that you do not wish to have put in, although if you are ever in doubt you should probably refrain.

Are there any options for vegetarians in China?

There are, nearly every major city has vegetarian options. In fact there are even some vegetarian only restaurants in Shenyang. Just as with allergies though, it would pay to know the words for foods you prefer not to eat. Also, many Chinese vegetarians still eat eggs, fish, or dairy products, so you should make sure that your vegetarian dish does not contain these!

How do I do my laundry while in China?

All of our apartments have a washing machine installed. However, don’t expect a dryer, they don’t exist! Chinese people prefer to air dry their clothes, making dryers outrageously expensive.

Is there any place to do dry cleaning?

There are drycleaners all throughout the city and in all the major shopping centers.

How can I access the internet while in China?

We have Wifi in all of our apartments as well as our school. If you do not have a computer we also have several communal computers in our center. The other option is the internet cafes which are on every other street corner, and usually charge about .25 cents per hour.

How do I call back home? Is it expensive?

There are many ways to reach family and friends in China. We highly recommend Skype as a great way to call for about 2 cents per minute (free if you are calling from Skype to Skype). You may also be interested in Chinese calling cards, which usually end up being between 8-12 cents per minute depending on the card.

Travel in China

I want to travel around China before or after your program, can you help?

While we are not a travel agency, we are always willing to help you find the best deals on travel in China. If you need to arrange something just let us know, and we will guide you in the right direction.

Are there any interesting places to visit around Shenyang?

There are many wonderful places in and around Shenyang. Whether you are interested in the historical, natural, or modern you can find it. To learn more please go to our Shenyang places of interest page.

What are my options for getting around the country?

Planes, trains, and automobiles are all great way to get around. Shenyang also happens to be one of China’s transportation hubs, which means you can get to almost anywhere, in almost anyway. Of course, one has not really explored China until they have taken a trip by train, so if you haven’t, give it a try!

I want to travel more, can I extend my visa?

Usually you may extend your visa once, and for up to three months, but you will be required to prove that you have sufficient funds to continue travelling.

What happens if I run out of money?

While we hope this never happens, occasionally people run out of money. As we stated before you may be able to withdraw money from your western accounts using your credit or debit card. If you wish to receive money there are many Western union branches all over Shenyang.

If you have any other questions please e-mail us at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it



Chinese Group Program

Group Mandarin Chinese Study Program Group classes can be set up for students at similar levels that want to study ...

Read More

Chinese One-on-One Program

One-on-One Mandarin Chinese Study Program Langston's one-on-one program is perfect for students who want specialized classes designed specifically to fit their ...

Read More

English Language Programs

Langton English Language Programs Since 2006 Langston Language has provided top-quality English language training to adults and children throughout Shenyang. Langston ...

Read More

Chinese Study Programs

Langston Chinese Chinese Study Programs If you are looking to study Chinese in China, you will find that you have many ...

Read More